GIS Cookbook: Cartographic Design - Preparing your map for presentation (without using a template)
|Keywords: Presentation, map, layout, printing|
Category: Cartographic Design
Software: ArcInfo 8
Problem: How do I prepare my data for presentation?
Description: You are satisfied with the data in your Data View window and would like to move the map into a layout form for presentation or printing.
1) To prepare your data for presentation first make sure that you want to display all the data frames and all the turned on data you have in your table of contents.
|I want to display this.|
2) Before proceeding you need to determine how large you want your map presentation to be. So select File ->Page Setup
3) Choose the size of your paper, keep in mind that many sizes require special printers, so do not select a size that cannot be handled by your printer. You can also choose here whether you want a portrait or landscape format.
When you have made your selections click ok
|Page Setup Window|
4) To get to a layout, select View -> Layout View
|Changing to the layout view|
5) You layout view will appear with your data frame windows centered in the middle of the layout page.
|Both Data frames are shown|
6) Organize the map windows in the size and location you would like them (Note: If you would only like to display one of them you can move the dataframe you don't want to display out of the way
|Just select it and move it out of the way|
, or you can turn off the themes which you do not want to display.
|Turn the individual themes off|
7) Now you are ready to add the other Cartographic Elements.
|Authored by: Benjamin N. Sprague Modified: 9/11/03|
Copyright © 2002-2014 by Regents of University of California,
Cookbook: Ben Sprague, Ethan Sundilson, Carlin Wong, Sam Ying